Author : Mamiko Shiotani しおたにまみこ
Published : 2021
Personal Recommendation : 5 years old and older
Today, I would like to pick pretty deep-insighted & philosophical book for review. Since this book had been nominated as Book Store’s recommendation ranking of 2021 in Japan, I thought it would be good contents, but I would have never expected for this book to have such important lessons of life (in philosophical way). No wonder why it got nominated/awarded.
Basically, through this book, we get to learn
- Importance of stand up and move spontaneously.
- Don’t hesitate to speak out.
- Explore to expand your life experience.
- Move/Act to stay energetic
- Relax when needed
- Think deeply who you really are and what makes you “you”
- Everybody is unique and we need to know how to deal with others.
- If the individual lots each uniqueness, they are nothing.
- Need to know and accept we all have two-sided faces in our mind.
Pretty interesting huh? So what kind of story would teach the readers such valuable lesson like above? Let’s check out the storyline. This is the story about Mr. Egg and his new friend Mr. Marshmallow. It consist of 3 part sections and here are the breakdown of sections.
(Part 1) Encounter with Mr. Marshmallow
- Mr. Egg (Egg) was at the kitchen together with other colleague eggs. They have been just lying at the kitchen, staying still entire time. One day, this Mr. Egg decided to stand up and move. Though he did, rest of other eggs were still lying and nobody even tries to move. Mr. Egg tried to roll others over to wake up and they ended up having cracks as they roll. Mr. Egg was sad that nobody would even try to stand up.
- At the kitchen, he found the group of marshmallow in the bag. They also don’t move an inch and Mr. Egg decided to take a bite on one of Marshmallows. Mr. Marshmallow screamed for pain. Mr. Egg realized he has not spoken at all and it is important to speak out when something happened, in order to get noticed by others.
(Part 2) Taking a walk around the kitchen and beyond
- Mr. Egg & Mr. Marshmallow decided to expolore outside of kitchen to Living room etc. That is when they realized they have only seen fraction of world and they have more wider world to explore.
- They met with Cushion on the sofa. Cushion said to them “You should behave like Egg or Marshmallow and not move around!” Apparently, Cushion was afraid of getting dirty when moves around. They said to Cushion “You should move around or you get all dusty all over your body, if you stay still”
- Next, they met Clock. Clock was surprised that Mr. Egg and Mr. Marshmarrow were talking a walk. Clock said “I have a job to do and should keep moving my clock every single second!” Mr. Egg said “let me take batteries out of your body to solve your issue, so that you can relax” Mr. Clock stopped moving his clock, as if he had been over-worked.
(Part 3) Thinking about who I really am on rainy day
- On rainy day, Mr. Egg had nothing to do and bored. Thus he was contemplating who he really is. Am I really an Egg? How confident? Even if yes, do I have yolk in my body? Where is the position of yolk now?
- While thinking, Mr. Marshmallow came back from walk. Mr. Marshmallow said to Mr Egg “Hey, I met group of nuts during the wall and they were, Cashews, Almonds, Peanuts etc etc. Interestingly, they are arguing we-look-better/You-look-funny type of conversation. It includes size, shape, and color. So I decided to separate those into certain groups on each plate. They, guess what? Within the same group of nuts, another argument on which one look better/normal. I asked all the nuts are there any ways to end such argument and they answered that it is resolved if everybody looks exactly same. Perhaps we should ground them all into powder and put honey all over their body, and press inside mold to make exact same shaped mixed-nuts. But it would not make the individual unique nuts any more..”
- To make those nuts realized such important lesson, Mr. Egg then decided to put honey over their bodies. Mr. Egg felt bad and realized he is “bad” guy to those nuts. But he contemplated that this “bad me” is also part of Mr. Egg’s personality and Personality in general consists of good side and bad side all the time, he realized and was convinced himself.
Pretty deep and philosophical, huh? 😊 I was (in good way) totally surprised the author put such contents in one story. Though young reader cannot get its idea entirely, but it is highly recommended. It has lots of texts and thus personally 5years old and older would be great target readers.
You can purchase this book here. 広告はこちら
#Japanese #Japaneselanguage #Japan #ehon #Childrens #Children #Childrensbook #Japanesebook #Japanesebooks #Book #Books #Review #Bookreview #Picturebooks #Picturebook #giftidea #giftideas #絵本 #たまごのはなし #TamagonoHanashi #StoryofEgg #MamikoShiotani #ShiotaniMamiko #しおたにまみこ#Children’s #Children’sbook #Children’sbooks#えほん #ブロンズ新社