Story : Rintaro Uchida 内田麟太郎
Art : Nana Furiya 降矢なな
Published : 2001
Personal Recommendation : 5 years old and up
Have you ever had experience like “Man, all I have to do is to say I am sorry. But I just cannot do it..” If this situation rings a bell to you, this is the book for you. Because of the length of the book, I don’t think this cannot be a movie, but it can definitely be, at least, a great short film quality of the story. This is the story book by strong combo of Mr. Rintaro Uchida and Ms. Nana Furiya. And their other books were reviewed previously. Just like last time, this is the story about Fox and Wolf who are friends each other. (Other books by Rintaro Uchida can be found here, here and here)
Storyline is as follows.
- Fox and Friends are playing together in their house. They play darts but Fox beat Wolf 5 times in a row. Wolf got irritated and asked him to play Japanese Bilboquet (Cup-and-ball game) but Fox keeps defeating Wolf again.
- Wolf decided to challenge Fox with Wolf’s favorite cards game, but Wolf lost again. Wolf had enough and lost temper after all.
- He kicked Fox’s chair and Fox fell off. Wolf continues “This does not make any non-sense. You must be doing something under the table to keep winning. You are such a scam! And Scam needs to get out of my house!” Although it was pouring rain outside, Wolf kicked Fox out. Fox was angry and shouted “I get it. I am sick of this place anyway. Let me get out of here. I will never come back to this place” Fox kept waking under the heavy rain.
- On the other hand, Wolf was very upset about himself. “What have I done… I know Fox did not cheat. I know better than anybody.” He regretted that he called his friend a scam.
- Next day, Wolf wanted to apologize to Fox and decided to take a walk of their routine walk-route. Fox also felt that he needs to tell Wolf he did not mean what he said about Wolf and his house. As expected, they bumped into each other but nobody could speak up and just passed by.
- Next day, they both went to the grass field where they used to play together. Hoping that one could say sorry to the other, each other. But at the end, neither had a courage to speak to the buddy
- On Day 3, Both Fox and Wolf individually happen to visit the big tree where their favorite swing was hung under. Not knowing their buddy is right behind the tree, Fox leans against this big tree, whereas Wolf leans against big tree in opposite side. Both are thinking “how I wish to play with that guy one more time”
- Fox could not hold the sadness anymore and started crying hard. His tears dropped onto the ground and made a tiny pond. Accidently, small ant got drawn in this tear-drop pond and Fox realized about this poor ant.
- “Oh, no. I am so sorry!” Fox said to the ant. Behind that tree, Wolf heard his old yet favorite friend’s voice from behind the tree and immediately run to the Fox and said “No! I am sorry! You did not do anything wrong. It was all my fault” Wolf hugged Fox again and again rubbing his cheek against Fox’s cheek.
- They both decided to ride the swing under the tree together as they made up. They sing song together with their teams of joy on their cheek while riding on swing. (but they are just making up some random lyrics on the swing and their song’s lyrics does not make any sense though. 😉 )
There have been numbers of Children’s book story about “how to make it up with your friend after quarrel” In fact, I have picked up some book to review earlier. But this story was very well structured and helps readers to be hooked into the storyline naturally. All the readers should feel for Fox or Wolf and be able to share their struggling feeling during fight with friends, as if you are in the middle of quarrelling yourself. This can be one of my favorite book of this author’s book series!
You can purchase this book here. 広告はこちら
#Japanese #Japaneselanguage #Japan #ehon #Childrens #Children #Childrensbook #Japanesebook #Japanesebooks #Book #Books #Review #Bookreview #Picturebooks #Picturebook #giftidea #giftideas #絵本 #ごめんねともだち #RintaroUchida #UchidaRintaro #内田麟太郎 #NanaFuriya #FuriyaNana #降矢なな #Children’s #Children’sbook #Children’sbooks #えほん #偕成社