Author : Yuka Kitamura 北村裕花
Published : 2016
Personal Recommendation : 3-5 years old
This is another series of Rice Ball NINJA the Spy. I have reviewed the original story earlier and I would not go into so much details about who this spy is here. But this time, Onigiri Ninja (Rice Ball Spy) is on the mission to find out who actually stole everybody’s Japanese-style sandals and ended up fighting with the suspect. Let’s find out the storyline.
- NINJA is doing his routine daily training and heard people in town complaining something.
- NINJA asked the Guys in town (=they also are rice balls but in Kimono, the Japanese traditional clothes. 😊 ) what’s going on and they told Ninja their sandals have been stolen by somebody.
- Some says they witnessed sandals were being stolen and carried to the beach last night in the dark. Ninja then decided to find out where it went.
- As he reached to the beach, the gigantic octopus and his army (=Half-cut Wiener which looks like Mini-octopus 😊) are there. Octopus is saying “Yes, we did it. With this sandals, we can walk around the hot beach sands in the summer!”
- “Hold there Octopus! I am here to get sandals back” says NINJA. “Who the heck are you? Go get them, Wieners! “ “yes sir!”
- “OUCH” The battlefield (beach sand) was very hot like being on the pan and The Spy cannot move fast enough. NINJA then decided to use his NINJA Art called “Baked Onigiri Rice Ball” so that he can endure the heat on the pan/sand.
- Octopus decided to drag the NINJA into the ocean. But NINJA again used his NINJA art skill and wrapped himself into plastic package (just like the rice ball sold in the convenience store.)
- Octopus decided to spray in the black ink into the ocean to blind the NINJA. Luckily, Football fish came by and Football fish use his head to shine the octopus. ※
- NINJA quickly used his “Wrapping with Seaweed” NINJA art skill to capture the octopus
- Octopus finally surrendered and returned all of sandals stolen. Octopus then changed his mind and decided to do something good for the people in town. Octopus opened up Sushi restaurant so that with his tentacles, he can serve many customers at once. Customers including Rice ball NINJA are satisfied with all the fresh-quality Sushi at Octopus’s restaurant.
Well, I probably need to explain some. About baked rice ball, this is actually another form of Rice Ball meal which Japanese people like. Mostly at BBQ style place with charcoal, we put little soy sauce on the surface of rice ball and bake it until it got crispy outside. About the plastic package, if you ever purchased Rice Ball in the store in Japan, you know what I am talking about. Basically, the wrapping is done in such that people can (1) tear off and (2) Pull on both side and (3) film which was separating from rice and seaweed comes out so that Rice ball with crispy seaweed around are made instantly in easy 1-2-3 steps. If the readers know about it, The storyline part of “ ※ “ is quite funny. About the football fish, in many children’s book in Japan, they are described as “the fish which has the old-fashioned hand lamp hanging from their head due to the shape of football fishes head’ I am sure some readers were like “What? Football fish to light up in the sea??? Like firefly??” Well, it is just imaginary phenomena which we Japanese people have for football fish and it isn’t true! 😊 Though many cultural aspect needs to be explained but the concept of this series still remains very entertaining and somewhat informative in terms of Japanese food culture.
You can purchase this book here. 広告はこちら
#Japanese #Japaneselanguage #Japan #ehon #Childrens #Children #Childrensbook #Japanesebook #Japanesebooks #Book #Books #Review #Bookreview #Picturebooks #Picturebook #giftidea #giftideas #絵本 #おにぎりにんじゃ #おこめがはまのけっせん #おにぎりにんじゃおこめがはまのけっせん #OnigiriNinja #Onigiri #Ninja #にんじゃ #忍者 ＃おにぎり #RiceBall #YukaKitamura #KitamuraYuka #北村裕花 #Children’s #Children’sbook #Children’sbooks #えほん #講談社