Author : Keiko Shibata 柴田ケイコ
Published : 2020
Personal recommendation : 3-5 years old
OK, OK, I know what you are thinking. “This book title makes no sense, right?” Well, if you know Author Ms. Keiko Shibata’s White Bear Series, no need to explain much of details. But to those who don’t know about this book series, let me explain.
This is Popular Children Book’s Author Ms. Keiko Shibata’s Polar Bear Series. This time, it is titled “Akai Shirokuma” and literal translation is “Red White Bear”😊 Basically, this book’s general story line is that white bear who loves all the Red-colored food and dreamed of being shrink and surrounded by all those Red meat-dishes? Also, his obsession to red-colored object goes beyond food category?!?!? This is pretty much the set-up for this book. You can find other books by Ms. Keiko Shibata in my previous review. (#1 and #2)
In each page shown with [ XYZ], meal (or certain object’s) illustration along with white bear happily surrounded inside each dish is drawn. 😊 Text in this book is the comments of what this white bear is talking. =(lots of “I” sentence) Let’s check out the story line.
- “I am Polar Bear and I love all the yummy food. I am often called “Greedy Hungry White bear” I can pretty much eat anything, especially Red-colored dish is my favorite” says White bear.
- “One day, I thought how I would feel if I am surrounded by my favorite red dishes? Even imaging such makes me drooling!” (Illustration : White bear rubbing bowl of strawberry while drooling)
- [Strawberry] : “When it comes to something red, it has to be strawberry. You can eat them as-is or can find in cakes and all those sweets. How I wish I would become one of the strawberries in this bowl?
- [Apple] : “My family usually eats apple every day. The crunchiness makes me keep eating. My mom can cut the apple into rabbit-shaped piece!
- [Tomato juice] “I can stay inside the tomato juice forever as long as I have straw sticking outside to breath”
- [ISE (Lobster) Shrimp] “Lobster seems to be the king of shrimp! Have you tried them before? It is very juicy and tasty!”
- [Octopus] “I cannot get away with all the slimy octopus body and legs once trapped. Can you help me out Dad??” (White bear is entangled by octopus legs)
- [DARUMA Doll] “I am bored with all the red food now. Let me jump into something Red other than food. DARUMA doll is known to make one’s wish come true. What would you wish if I became Daruma myself?”
- [Traffic Light] “Do you know Traffic light keeps blinking to protect people 24/7? Red means STOP. Let me become Traffic Light myself and keep everybody in town safe!”
- [Red Flowers] “Rose, Tulip, hibiscus etc. Which one of Red-Flowers do you like best? Those can be a great gift for mom!
- [Red leaves in the tree] When Autumn comes, all the leaves turns beautifully into red and yellow and fell off onto the ground. I and my family is inside the piles of those leaves. Can you spot us?”
- [Santa Claus] Wish I would become Santa and go to each house to give presents on Christmas. I cannot wait to make all the kids happy with my presents!”
- [Sunset] “How I wish to become Sunset. I will light up even the ocean with Red color as I am now a gigantic sun!”
- “By imagining all of above makes me happy” says White bear. His mother’s voice coming from the distance. “Kids! Come here. I have something for you! Happy Birthday!” says Mom.
- “Wow, it is Red-colored Power rangers suit I can put on to disguise. Let me wear them and strike the pose for transformation and keep people on this planet safe!
As mentioned earlier, Author Ms. Kudo is quite popular and published several well-known series including “Bread Thief” series. Unlike previous books, objects are not limited to “Food”, but with this expansion, I believe the story becomes much fun with this colored-theme. Also, it contains certain transition of 4 seasons in the context towards the end, which makes the readers (especially Japanese people) more attached emotionally. (I mean, who would not be touched by bright Red Sunset😊??) This book is, again, greatly well crafted book by Ms. Shibata.
You can purchase this book here. 広告はこちら
#Japanese #Japaneselanguage #Japan #ehon #Childrens #Children #Childrensbook #Japanesebook #Japanesebooks #Book #Books #Review #Bookreview #Picturebooks #Picturebook #giftidea #giftideas #絵本 #あかいしろくま #AkaiShirokuma #KeikoShibata #ShibataKeiko #柴田ケイコ #Children’s #Children’sbook #Children’sbooks #えほん #PHP研究所