Author : Joanna Cole ジョアンナ・コール
Published : 1992
Personal recommendation : 3-5 years old and up
As some of you may recognize, this isn’t really “Japanese” Children’s book but rather translated version. And this isn’t really “Picture Book” but rather “Photo Book. 😊 There were series of Monochrome (black-and-white) Documentary Photos of a puppy’s birth to its grown-up phase. Though this is quite old book, but most of kids don’t get to witness Dog’s birth so often and this book is great learning tool for what the birth of life is all about.
Story line is as follows. (Each page has it related photo of dog/puppy)
- “Let me tell you something awesome. The Dog next door is giving birth and I am going to get one puppy! In Dog’s belly, there are many puppies who are about to coming out. I cannot wait!”
- The day has come. The dog went into the box and tear (bit) off the papers and makes comfortable bed to settle. Now, it is time to push the mother Dog!
- The first puppy comes out! The puppy is in the bag upon birth. And Mother break the bag by teeth so that puppy can come out.
- Now, new-born puppy is here. It still has umbilical cord, which mother gives all the nutrition and oxygen in her belly.
- Mother bit the umbilical cord and now the puppy should be on his own to breath and eat. Mother licked puppies to clean up the body and dry out.
- Now all the puppies are here! While the mother breastfeeding all the puppies, she licks puppies’ body
- “All the puppies is very cute but I have decided to take this puppy. I name this dog “Sausage”
- “Sausage is very tiny and light. Gauge of the scale only moves a bit. Sausage cannot see and keep his eyes closed. Cannot hear either. His ear holes are still completely sealed.
- But we can hear Sausage trying to say something. He would start crying as soon as he is apart from mommy. He seems to know where to find mommy and how to suck milk from her.
- In two weeks, both eyes and ears are open. His body is getting bigger too. But cannot steadily walk yet.
- In one month, his body is big enough to sit and can bark now! You see, he even got teeth!
- Since Sausage’s teeth is getting bigger and sharper, I gave him a milk in flat plate. He refused first but get accustomed to it now.
- Now, Sausage and his brothers/sisters are ready to play around in the yard. Doing adventurous things. But still playing around his mommy.
- In two months, he is now OK to be away from mommy. So, I decided to take him a walk in leash. First, he did not even move a inch, but soon he started following around.
- From today on, Sausage and I are good friends, and we will be together all the time. Let’s play and have fun together! (Last page : Photo of Child and Sausage facing each other as if they were talking each other)
Not sure how the original text in English is written, but I found it interesting that, with this translated text, we get to know towards the end that this text is the refection of how this Child feels/thinks. And with all the black-white pictures, I felt I was reading some diary rather than Children’s book. In color, probably birth scene may not be appropriate for some viewers, but with this black-white photos, most of people can look this story as documentary-like. 😊
You can purchase this book here. 広告はこちら
#Japanese #Japaneselanguage #Japan #ehon #Childrens #Children #Childrensbook #Japanesebook #Japanesebooks #Book #Books #Review #Bookreview #Picturebooks #Picturebook #giftidea #giftideas #絵本 #こいぬがうまれるよ #MyPuppyIsBorn #Koinugaumareruyo #ジョアンナコール #JoannaCole #Children’s #Children’sbook #Children’sbooks #えほん #Photobook #Photobooks #写真集