Text : なかえよしを Yoshiwo Nakae
Illustration: 上野紀子 Noriko Ueno
Published : 2018
Personal recommendation : 3-5 years old
“You don’t need to compete about everything. Forget about I-am-better-than-you attitude.” Well, this is pretty much the key message of this popular book series by Mr. Yoshiwo Nakae / Ms. Noriko Ueno.
To understand and enjoy this book, one needs to know the classic Japanese folklore named “Rabbit and Turtle”. Basically, this folklore is about Turtle and Rabbit decided to race to the top of mountain. As The Rabbit can move faster than Turtle, he went way ahead of Turtle and decided to take a nap in the middle as Turtle is so slow and still far from where Rabbit stands. Yet, while Rabbit overslept, slow-but-steady Turtle passed the sleeping Rabbit and cross the finish line. This folklore teaches “Slow-but-Steady” wins over “Quick-and-Dirty” Thus, Rabbit and Turtle have remained Rivals each other since.
This is another edition of popular book series and I have reviewed previously. Same pencil-like illustration (simple black-white and red) are there again as well.
That being said, here is the storyline.
- Boy Mouse and Girl Mouse saw Rabbit arguing with Turtle. “I heard our grandpa did the race and my grandpa lost due to oversleep. I want to challenge the race with you one more time!”
- Turtle consulting with mice “I don’t think I can possibly win this time. What should I do?” Mice say “ I got some great idea!”
- Mouse suggested “As long as it is race, it does not have to be 1-on-1. How about relay-racing this time?” “Okay”
- Soon, Rabbit brought his teammates including Lop-eared Rabbit and Flemish Giant Rabbit.
- Turtle brought his teammates including Ostrich, Cheetah and Springbok.
- On your mark, Get set, ready, go! Race started off smoothly for Team Turtle. Start with Ostrich to Cheetah to Springbok to finally Turtle. Turtle was very slow and Team Rabbit is catching up quicky. Yet, thanks to his teammate, Turtle crossed the finish line before Rabbit.
- Rabbit is sad and crying and goes “I lost again…” Turtle walked up to Rabbit and says “Why don’t we stop competing anymore. Can we play together and have some fun instead moving forward?”
- (Last page) Shadow images of bigger animals (Ostrich, Cheetah and Springbok) carrying rest of smaller animals on their back and singing along “We are all friends. ♪”
Many of us today focus on win or lose, which one is better than others? But Life isn’t all about winning or losing and compare with others. We just need to live the moment and enjoy with friends around you to enjoy your life. Winning feels great, but we should not let this become the purpose of life. Great message from Authors thru this Children’s book.
You can purchase this book here. 広告はこちら
#Japanese #Japaneselanguage #Japan #ehon #Childrens #Children #Childrensbook #Japanesebook #Japanesebooks #Book #Books #Review #Bookreview #Picturebooks #Picturebook #giftidea #giftideas #絵本 #ねずみくんのうんどうかい #ねずみくん #Nezumikun #なかえよしを #YoshiwoNakae #NakaeYoshiwo #上野紀子 #NorikoUeno #UenoNoriko #Children’s #Children’sbook #Children’sbooks #えほん