Story : Rintaro Uchida 内田麟太郎
Art : Nana Furiya 降矢なな
Published : 2012
Personal Recommendation : 5 years old and up
This is another popular “Friend” series by Author Mr. Rintaro Uchida. Just like last times (#1, #2 , #3 and #4), Wolf and Fox are main characters but this time shy Raccoon also plays important role on the friendship building story. Humble Shy Raccoon would like to join their baseball team but cannot. One thing Wolf does not know is that reason why Raccoon cannot join to play together is Wolf himself. How did they become friends afterwards? Let’s find out in the storyline show below.
- Raccoon looking all the animal friends playing baseball on the field from the top of hill. He goes “Yup, that wolf guy was there…” Raccoon would like to join but he can’s since he is scare of wolf. Wolf noticed Raccoon and says “That Raccoon is there again. He probably wants to play with us.” Fox waves to Raccoon saying “come down. Let’s Play together”
- With a little support from FOX, Raccoon stepped forward with courage. Wolf and other friends were getting ready to welcome the new friend.
- As way too much anticipation was built with Wolf, he screamed to Raccoon and says “Hey. Come down hurry! We have been waiting!” Fox goes “Hush. Do not scream!” but it was too late.
- Raccoon got scared, turned back and run away. “What the heck??? Why did he run away???” goes Wolf. Fox goes “Maybe, perhaps…He was scare of you?” “Scary? Me? Scared that Raccoon??” Wolf was disappointed, considering the fact that he read the book the day before and it says “The strong is kind one.” “That is exactly me, I am strong and I am kind as well” Wolf was believing until Raccoon run away.
- Next day, Wolf stood in front of mirror in the house and practiced big smiles for Raccoon with widely opened mouth showing teeth. Later on, Raccoon came out to the play-field again. Wolf sneaked up to the Raccoon trying not to be noticed from behind and goes with BIG smile “ Hey! Raccoon! ” Raccoon jumped up with surprise and run away again.
- Wolf got very disappointed and sad, murmuring into the bed “I am not much different from Fox. Am I just scary one to others? Fox being kind and Wolf like me being scary???”
- Ever since, Wolf did not show up in the playground for several days. Fox checked with Wolf’s house and sign in front of his door says “Don’t disturb. I am studying”
- Fox went back to playground and asked Raccoon “Hey, would you come with me to visit Wolf’s house?” Raccoon was hesitant at first but decided to go with Fox.
- Through the window, they saw Wolf writing letters. With all the trashes in the room, it was obvious Wolf wrote again and again. Letter expresses Wolf’s feeling how he would like to become friends with Raccoon and hoping that Raccoon would like Wolf back. As Wolf was tired of writing, he fell down and fell asleep on the floor.
- “I did not know Wolf was kind guy” says Raccoon. “Yeah, he looks scary a bit by appearance buy he is kind one” says Fox. They decided to sleep by Wolf on that night.
- Next day, Wolf wakes up and realized him being surrounded by two new friends. “Hey, Wolf” “Hey Wolf..” says Fox and Raccoon. Wolf goes “Hey…You… How do you do, my friend?” Raccoon goes “Did he just call me friend?” Raccoon gave high-five to Fox and they said back to Wolf “How do you do, my friend! ”
“We should not judge people appearance”. Those are universal important lesson we all should know. But sometimes, it isn’t easy for kids to understand and act accordingly. This does not limit to only appearance and it should be applicable to genders/race etc. I have spent decades outside of Japan when I was younger and believe I am dealing with this better than anybody in Japan. But I hope that my children, who has only lived in Japan so far and have been only surrounded by similar race, can learn something from this book and meet new friends in the future regardless of one’s appearance.
You can purchase this book here. 広告はこちら
#Japanese #Japaneselanguage #Japan #ehon #Childrens #Children #Childrensbook #Japanesebook #Japanesebooks #Book #Books #Review #Bookreview #Picturebooks #Picturebook #giftidea #giftideas #絵本 #よろしくともだち #RintaroUchida #UchidaRintaro #内田麟太郎 #NanaFuriya #FuriyaNana #降矢なな #Children’s #Children’sbook #Children’sbooks #えほん #偕成社