Text : Yoko Tomiyasu 富安陽子
Illustration : Taeko Ohshima 大島妙子
Published : 2021
Personal recommendation : 5 years old and up
This is 4th (the latest as of 2021) “Papa Works in the hell” series. Please see my previous review for #1, #2 and #3 for basic background and set-up for the main character. This time, it has pretty much nothing to do with “office work” theme, but rather what if Demons/Gods are to compete in Sports Day Event. Usually as a school event, we Japanese have this “Sports Day”thingy, where the participants are split into two group (usually Red and White) and compete the opponent as a team. The story is about how Mr. Onigawara the red demon in red team competes against Team God (white).
Storyline is as follows.
- Today is Sports Day where all the participants both from Heaven and Hell attend. Red for Team “Hell” and White for Team “Heaven/God”
- Each representative takes Player’s Oath and promises to follow their “Sportsmanship”. 😊
- First Game is “Bean Bag toss game” into the basket set in higher ground. Mr Onigawara noticed that there are All the demons noticed White team has Thousand-armed Avalokiteshvara (Kannon) who is a threat for this game for Team Red.
- As Mr. Onigawara guessed, Team White has 10 times more beanbags in the basket compared to Team Red.
- Next game is “Tug of War”. Though Team Red wanted to get the points even, Mr Onigawara noticed Team White has “Big Buddha” at the end of line.
- Though Big Buddha was hard to beat, Team Red managed to win the tag of war game. Moving onto next game, it is “Scavenger Hunt Game” All the participants for the game is running and shouting, “Does anybody have King ENMA’s crown?” “Does anybody have Heavenly Nymph’s clothes?” “Does anybody have roll of toilet paper?” etc etc
- Next game is “Mock Cavalry Battle”. After that, it is lunch break where each family brought each Bento Lunch Box which are filled with each’s favorite foods. Mr. Onigawara having lunch with his family members and charing up for the last game of “Sprint race”.
- ALL the participants are on the start line. “On your mark, Get set, ready, go!” Bunch of Demons/God started running around the track. Surprisingly, Mr. Onigawara is way ahead of others and leading the race.
- Mr. Onigawara saw tall shiny pillars ahead of him. “Yup, that pillar must be the finish line goal point. I am #1 , Woo Hoo!!”
- Yet, what Mr . Onigawara thought as Pillars was actually “Big Buddha’s fingers”, not pillar. When he realized, guys in Team White crossed the finish line and Team Red lost the game.
- With those results, the final winner was awarded to Team White. Now that the results are in and game is over, there is no more Team/Opponents. (=No side) and final dance event kicked off which all Gods/Demons were dancing around the racetrack.
- (Last page) As Mr. Onigawara felt tired but feeling great at the same time, he was sitting on the bench with his kids, closing his eyes and reflecting how fun it was today. (End of story)
If you or your kids spend some time in Elementary school in Japan, you know exactly what this School sports festival is all about. This is traditional event in Japan for last several decades, not limited to school but also local community where adults are main participants. As mentioned, this story is not “Office Working Demon Mr, Onigawara” any more, but rather “what is Demons/Gods are experiencing Japanese peoples Sports Festival event. 😊 Actually, my kids did not know about Thousand-armed Avalokiteshvara (Kannon) nor Ashura God, Big Buddah etc and it turned out to be a good intro book of all types of Gods !
You can purchase this book here. 広告はこちら
#Japanese #Japaneselanguage #Japan #ehon #Childrens #Children #Childrensbook #Japanesebook #Japanesebooks #Book #Books #Review #Bookreview #Picturebooks #Picturebook #giftidea #giftideas #絵本 #オニのサラリーマン #じごくごくらく運動会 #オニのサラリーマンじごくごくらく運動会 #OninoSalaryMan #Salaryman #Demon #Demons #Oni #YokoTomiyasu #TomiyasuYoko #富安陽子 #TaekoOhshima #OhshimaTaeko #大島妙子 #Children’s #Children’sbook #Children’sbooks #えほん #hell #オニ #鬼