Author : Aki Kondo コンドウアキ
Published : 2020
Personal Recommendation : 5 years old and up
What if there is a bank whichi deals with dream instead of money? What if you can sell your dream or buy dream so that the buyer can see the dream of what they wanted to see while sleeping? Sounds already interesting huh? Well, this is the storyline of this book titled “Dream Bank”. Though it is for Children and illustrations are very cute and all, but it got very deeply insight-ed content and some adults may drop the tears while reading. Overall, great great storyline and I loved it a lot. Let’s check what those elaborated storyline is about.
- There is a Peguin, who is the owner of “Dream Bank” Dream Bank buys dreams from customer and turn those into candies. If other customer wants to see those dream while sleeping, Dream Bank sells those candies so that they can see the desired dream after eating candy. The popular dream (candy) is “Fly in the sky” Or “sliding down the rainbow”
- Some customer wants to see nightmare for some reasons and we have those candies as well. I say “Have a bad dream” to those customer instead of “Have a sweet dream”. 😊
- The policy is that customer can only do the transaction once a year. Penguin, the Bank Owner, does not like his job much, that because he can be easily scared the darkness, as he usually has to visit customer at night to buy their dreams for sale.
- One day, the old gentleman asked Penguin to collect their dreams and Penguin visited old man’s house at night. Soon after, Old man started dreaming.
- Old man was dreaming about “Baking bread” , “looking at the starts” and “Floating inside (soap) bubbles”. Though Penguin was happy that those can be great “candy” but there is limit for collecting dream. Though Old man still continues to see dream and Penguin saw the scene of happy young couples eating bread on the picnic, but Penguin decided to leave his house as he cannot collect dreams any more.
- Next day, Old man visited Dream Bank. Old man brough the photo of old woman and asked Penguin “Did you see her in my dreams last night by any chance?” Penguin said, “Mmm, wait, yes. She was a lot younger but at the last dream you were seeing, she was there. But we could not collect that specific dream”
- “Oh I see. That photo was actually my wife who passed away long time ago. Yesterday was our anniversary and I was hoping if I get to see her in my dream. If so, I was planning to purchase my own dream (candy) back so that I get to see her again and again in my dream. But never mind. At least I know she came to my dream last night” Penguin said, “This is something I can do at least”
- Penguin recalled as much detail as possible and draw the picture of young couples on picnic, as Penguin saw last night. Old man started crying with joy “Thank you very much. The ribbon she was wearing was gift from me. Thank you for memorizing all those. This is the greatest gift!”
- Old man continues his memory about his wife. Like how they traveled together for many places and he buys small souvenir for her as token to remember their fun journey, and how they looked for shooting star at night, how she enjoyed the bread he baked and how she wished to be inside the floating bubble so that she can go anywhere while she was on the wheelchair taking the walk with old man. As old man’s some of beautiful memories were back, he thanked Penguin and left the bank.
- Penguin does not like his job but sometimes, especially like today, he feels good about what he does. “Welcome to Dream Bank. How may I help you to find the great dreams you are looking for?”
I was shocked (in a good way) when Old man’s intention was to purchase back his dream so that he can repeat its dream and get to see his wife every time he wants to see. Very nice twist in the storyline but at the same time, a bit heart-breaking to imagine how badly hurt this old man got after loss of his wife. At least, the readers know old man spent the time with his wife fully and still lives with beautiful memories with her. Not only for kids, but it teaches great lesson of “ making great memory with loved one is far more important than money itself” Truly awesome story and I loved it a lot.
You can purchase this book here. 広告はこちら
#Japanese #Japaneselanguage #Japan #ehon #Childrens #Children #Childrensbook #Japanesebook #Japanesebooks #Book #Books #Review #Bookreview #Picturebooks #Picturebook #giftidea #giftideas #絵本 #ゆめぎんこう#DreamBank # YUMEGINKOU #AkiKondo #KondoAki #コンドウアキ #Children’s #Children’sbook #Children’sbooks #えほん #白泉社