Text : Yoko Tomiyasu 富安陽子
Illustration : Taeko Ohshima 大島妙子
Published : 2019
Personal recommendation : 5 years old and up
This is 3rd “Papa Works in the hell” series. Please see my previous review here and here for basic background and set-up for the main character. This time, the story is about how Mr. Onigawara the red demon had to spend summer time specifically during Japan’s Special Summer break holiday season called “OBON”. We have this OBON week in August in Japan and many of offices are closed due to these holidays. OBON period is the time when all the ancestors (who have passed away long ago) would come back to their home/hometown and thus the Livings (like us) also come back to home for family union. For that reason, many of Japanese people travels to their hometown during this week and high fare/jam-packed train/ heavy traffic is the usual scene during OBON week.
The storyline is as follows.
- It is OBON week in the hell, where all the dead souls living in the hell would go back to each hometown.
- Since this is the only time that Hell becomes empty, it is time for BIG cleaning day for all the demons. Demons see all the dead souls off for temporal good-bye. Yet, TV News Anchorman reporting that the traffic jam is already started, and it is reaching 108 kilometer long. All the demons saying “I am glad I am a demon not human and I don’t have to go thru this chaos every summer.” 😊
- Now that Hell becomes empty, The King ENMA (the Demon Master) orders all the demons to make sure to clean the entire hell spotless in this once-a-year opportunity. “Yes, Sir!” say Demons.
- Demons picked up mops, brooms, and started cleaning around. Some demons are asked to fine all the needles in the “needle-mountain” which they are usually used to torture the humans sent to hell.
- Mr. Onigawara joking around with his colleagues, and they decided to file their horns with a file. And their signature Demon’s horn became very shiny as new!
- After having little fun with the colleagues, they started cleaning ENMA’s special “JOUHARI” mirror. (=JOUHARI Mirror is found in hell in ENMA’s chamber that allows people to see their good and bad deeds) By looking at this unique mirror while wiping, Mr, Onigawara saw in the mirror that some other demons are slacking off the cleaning duty by doing BBQ etc behind ENMA’s eyes and he wished that he was one of them.
- Now, it is time to clean up “the pond of blood” by draining all the blood out. When it is about to be drained out, Mr. Onigawara dropped his cudgel into the pond, beautiful goddess showed up from the pond, asking Mr. Onigawarawhich cudgel he had dropped, the normal metal one, gold one or silver cudgel. Mr. Onigawara knew The Goddess was testing his honesty and if he answers it right, he would get some reward like getting the gold cudgel instead of his original cudgel. So he honestly answered it is standard one and Goddess goes “OK, here you are. You are one honest demon.” And she handed over the standard one to Mr. Onigawara. 😊
- In the end, all the area in the hell has been cleaned up well and all the demons (residents in the hell) will have one day off the next day.
- (Next page : Illustration of Mr. Onigawara playing with his kids (mini demons) in his house. )
You can purchase this book here. 広告はこちら
#Japanese #Japaneselanguage #Japan #ehon #Childrens #Children #Childrensbook #Japanesebook #Japanesebooks #Book #Books #Review #Bookreview #Picturebooks #Picturebook #giftidea #giftideas #絵本 #オニのサラリーマン #じごくの盆やすみ #オニのサラリーマンじごくの盆やすみ #OninoSalaryMan #Salaryman #Demon #Demons #Oni #YokoTomiyasu #TomiyasuYoko #富安陽子 #TaekoOhshima #OhshimaTaeko #大島妙子 #Children’s #Children’sbook #Children’sbooks #えほん #hell #オニ #鬼