Author : Keiko Shibata 柴田ケイコ
Published : 2020
Personal recommendation : 3-5 years old and up
This is recent famous author Keiko Shibata’s popular “Bread Thief” series. This is Episode #1 of on-going series and you can find pretty much any bookstores now in Japan and you might have seen the cover illustration somewhere. This is the story about “Bread Thief” who has a strong love for Bread. Because of his strong love for bread, he decided to sneak into bakery shop and tries to steal a bread. And who is really this “Bread Thief?” At the end of story, he takes off his bread-shaped mask and reveals himself who he really is!
Storyline is as follows
- In small town, there is Mr. Bread Thief who steals bread from bakery. He claimed himself he is a great thief who always looks for tasty bread.
- Bakery shops in that town usually produce awesome soft-textured bread. He usually enjoyed eating those at his house after stealing. His policy is “to steal only freshly baked bread and steal only one bread at a time with appreciation”
- One day, he saw brand new bakery and its sign board saying “The world’s best bread”. Bread Thief excitedly set his next target to break in.
- He decided to check inside the bakery thru window and saw bunch of breads are being prepared. “Why don’t I get in and taste one of those as sampling?”
- He sneaked into the store, but with lots of bread selections, it is easy for him to hide and pretend as “bread on the shelf”. The middle aged man (owner) did not notice about Bread thief at all.
- He gradually approached to the targeted bread behind owner’s back and he grabbed one bread and get out of the store running away.
- Back to his place, he was admiring this fresh-baked bread “Oh, what a lovely bread you are. Let me have a bite now”
- “YUCKY!!!!” (Illustration of ZOMBIE-like funny face here 😊 )
- With much anger, thief decided to go back to that bakery shop and decided to complain about this bread to the owner face to face.
- Owner was surprised “Talking Bread came to my store!? Who the heck are you?” Thief took off his mask saying “I am no bread. I am a bread thief” It turned out thief was a mouse.
- Owner was surprised but explained to the mouse “In the first place, stealing is bad thing. I feel sorry that I made this horrible bread though. But you need to apologize what you did”
- Mouse said “Yes, understood. I won’t steal again..” Owner suggested “If you like to eat tasty bread, why don’t we make bread together?” Mouse said “Yes, that would be great idea!”
- With all the tasty bread Mouse tried, he know knows how to make great ones as well. He recalled all those tasty bread and came up with great recipes after several days.
- After all, Mouse and Owner had made one great bread. Since It was so tasty, rumor brought all the people from town for this bread and it has long line in front of shop everyday. Mouse is no longer a thief but became great chef of bread!
“Stealing is a bad thing” This is universal lesson for all the kids and it surely is great way to teach such thru this book. But personal highlight (at least to my kids) was when Bread-Thief tasted horrible bread and makes such hilarious face. My kids bursts into laughing with this page all the time. This is actually great yet fun book read and I will review Episode #2 shortly.
You can purchase this book here. 広告はこちら
#Japanese #Japaneselanguage #Japan #ehon #Childrens #Children #Childrensbook #Japanesebook #Japanesebooks #Book #Books #Review #Bookreview #Picturebooks #Picturebook #giftidea #giftideas #絵本 #パンどろぼう #KeikoShibata #ShibataKeiko #柴田ケイコ #KADOKAWA #株式会KADOKAWA #Children’s #Children’sbook #Children’sbooks #えほん